Going to your first craft fair show can be so exciting! But it can also be very overwhelming. How can you prepare for such a huge event? Where do you even begin?
Well, there’s good news. We’ve gathered up all the things you need for the Ultimate “how to” craft show guide (for free) to share with you! So relax, take a deep breath, and keep on reading.
To start with, you need to:
- Figure out a price tagging / inventory system that may work for you. On the tags you can mark the price and your item number. When something sells, remove the tag and put it in a designated area. When you get home, indicate when and where the item was sold on your master inventory list. You may want additional info on your master inventory list. To make it easier for you, you can use Craft Maker Pro, our very easy to use inventory software.
- Ask a tax professional about collecting sales tax and determine how you will do this.
- Before your first show, you should definitely practice setting up in your yard or a park at least once (preferably more) to work out all the kinks. Don’t forget to take pictures of your setup!
- The night before the show pack everything and be ready to roll out of bed and into your car – well, maybe you can stop to pack your cooler.
- Get your tax ID number – many shows require that number on your registration form.
- Research your need for a business license – this may take a day or more to obtain – plan ahead.
- Think about your need for liability insurance – some shows require this.
- Plan your set up on paper but be flexible enough to make last minute changes once you are actually setting up.
- Some people keep a moneybox or even a cash register, while others keep the money in a fanny pack, their pockets, or an apron – personal choice. We prefer to keep our money on us for security reasons.
- If it is around a holiday wear the corresponding clothing – E.g. t-shirt, hat, earrings.
Check this video from RJBWoodTurner where he shares with you how he prepared for the show and his experiences during the show.
I hope you find this information useful and it helps you have a successful show.
Latest posts by Gary Capps (see all)
- The Best Color To Use With Your Projects This 2017 - January 23, 2017
- Why Etsy Sellers Should Have A Backup Plan - January 22, 2017
- Valentine’s Day DIY Gift Inspiration For Everyone - January 20, 2017