Who isn’t looking to be a little more productive and efficient with their time especially if you are a handmade business owner?
Updating your Etsy store, your website, managing your inventory, ordering new stock, researching new ideas, invoicing customers all require a lot of time to be spent on the computer and if you don’t spend that time wisely you can find yourself shooting off on tangents.
In this age of apps, many people want something a little fancier.Sophisticated apps should make you more productive. Not make you feel guilty or distract you.
There are apps available to help you analyze your behavior or those which help you set up your own goals, define tasks better and boost motivation to make you run your handmade business even better:
- Vitamin R – is anapplication for your computer, compatible with Mac. Vitamin-R creates optimal conditions for your brain by structuring your work into short bursts of distraction-free, highly-focused activity alternating with opportunities for renewal, reflection and intuition.
- RescueTime – it helps you understand your daily habits so you can focus and be more productive.
- Obtract – is a very unique app, which identifies your main distractions, and then every time you want to access it, creates complicated intellectual obstacles to access them. The only problem is that for those who love intellectual and math tasks, it can become a new form of procrastination.
- Instant Boss – is a simple timer which helps you to break your day into work and pause intervals.
- Time Out – is rather an app for workaholics, which reminds you to take a break at set times. As they say that stress and overload also cause procrastination, it might appear to be quite effective.
- Concentrate – is a famous intelligent app for Mac. Its main purpose is to eliminate all the distractions on your computer, mostly by blocking websites and applications. However, it does more than that: it will only block certain apps or websites when you perform certain tasks on your computer, or conversely it will automatically open necessary programs for you when you need them. So if you are doing Internet research you definitely don’t want your browser to be blocked, except when you are writing, it could be to your advantage. It is quite pricey, but has a 60 day trial in case you want to give it a try before.
- SelfControl – Set it for 4 hours, for instance, and your browser will behave as if it’s offline for that period of time. No amount of browser restarts or computer reboots will stop it. Before you have heart palpitations, know that you can whitelist or blacklist certain sites. So, rather than completely disabling the entire Internet, you can selectively decide which sites are OK, or not OK, to visit during your focus period.
- Anti-Social – is the amazing app that makes it easy for you to target and block any distracting website, so you and your family can be more productive.
If anti-procrastination apps are not working for you, there are other effective ways to beat procrastination as suggested by Etsy sellers.
So how do you stay focused?
What apps are you using to keep yourself on track? We’d love to hear more suggestions in the comment box below.