Craft fairs don’t come with guarantees. You can never know for sure whether you’ll have a great day selling at craft shows, or whether you’ll practically see tumbleweeds rolling in the aisles between booths. The tricky part is finding the right craft shows for your product.
- Is there a membership application requirement?
- Are spaces filled by category?
- Is there a limit of number of vendors per category?
- How many of them are crafters? 2D artists?
- Is this a juried show? First come, first-served show? Invitation only show?
- If this is a juried show, who views the applications, photos, and slides?
- Is there a jury fee? How much?
- Is there an application fee? How much?
- Is there a minimum jury score requirement/cutoff to be accepted for the show?
- When are selections made?
- How many applications were received last year?
- Who makes up the jury?
- When will exhibitors be notified of acceptance?
- Are there any cancellation penalties or rules?
- How many exhibitors from last year are allowed back?
- How many new applicants are accepted?
- Is there a tenure option or an option to return to the show next year?
- Will you provide a list of exhibitors for reference?
- What is your policy for inclement weather if the show is outdoors?
- What kind of security is there if it is a two or more day show?
- Are there any insurance requirements?
- What is your policy about non handcrafted merchandise?
- Are imports, buy/sell or commercial merchandise allowed?
- What is the price of the booth space?
- Is electricity available – for a fee?
- How many vendors are in attendance?
- What is the size of the booth?
- Is there a variety of booth sizes?
- Is there a fee for parking?
- How accessible is parking?
- What hotel/accommodations are nearby?
- Is parking different for during the show, breakdown/set up, overnight?
- Is carpet rental available? What’s the fee?
- Is extra space or a double space available?
- Are demonstrations allowed?
- Is additional space or discounts provided for demonstrations?
- What is the recommended price range for art/craft-work in this show?
- Is the crafter expected to donate a door prize or raffle item?
- Are there any special costume requirements?
- Is there a program advertising fee?
- Are tables and/or chairs available, and is there a fee for them?
- How many people generally attend? (Last year’s attendance)
- How and where is the show advertised? (The number of customers will be directly related to this!)
- What are the demographics of the customers?
- How many years has this show been in existence?
- How many years has this show been in this location?
- How frequently and for how long has the show been advertised?
- How comprehensive is the advertising coverage?
- How many people do you expect to attend this year?
- Are promotional tools – invitations, postcards, flyers, etc provided to exhibitors?
General Show Questions
- What is the style of the show? (country, contemporary, traditional, etc.)
- What time does the show start and end?
- How early can we be there to set up?
- Is there air conditioning?
- Is the show outdoors – rain or shine?
- Do you have attendance figures?
- Is there an admission charged to the public?
- Is there plenty of customer parking?
- Is the show held in conjunction with another activity, or is it solely an arts/crafts show?
- Are there food concessions?
- Is there entertainment? What kind?
Questions To Ask Those Who Have Done the Show
- What art/crafts/products are selling?
- Is attendance up to expectation?
- How is the set up – is the traffic flow good when crowded?
- What is the quality of the crafts in the show?
Participating in craft shows is a great way to learn more about your customers and improve your business. Choose wisely and you’re sure to enjoy yourself along the way!