Browsing around Etsy, you’ll find plenty of shop banners that are blurry or stretched out.However, when you are setting up a handmade business, in the early stages money is tight and you might be reluctant to pay for a graphic designer to create one for you. So here is how you can make an Etsy banner for free!
Here are the step-by-step instructions for you toe xplore the advance features of GIMP:
- Download GIMP for Mac
- Go to the GIMP toolbar, click on “File” then “New” (a box will pop up that says “Create New Image”)
- Set the image size by typing “760” for the width, and “100” for the height. Click OK
- A rectangular shaped box will pop up. This is your banner.
- To add a background to your banner, go to the GIMP toolbar and click “File”, “Open” and browse through the files on your computer to find pictures that you have already saved. For best results, shrink your chosen photos by 75% beforehand or for some photosshrink them by 25%.
- After the photos were resized and saved, go to “File”, “Open” and find the saved photos. Then in order to add them to your banner, go to GIMP toolbar and click on the icon in the top left hand corner (it looks like a grey rectangle). Use this to select the areas of the resized photo that you want to use on your banner and then copy and paste it on your banner.
- Font. If you want to add text to your banner, go back to the GIMP toolbar and click on the icon that looks like a capital letter “T”.
- Font Size. If you look at the bottom half of the toolbar you can see that there are options to adjust the size of your font, the style of letters etc.
- Click on your banner where you want the text to show up. Start typing!
- To save your banner, choose “File”, “Save As”. A grey box that says “Save Image” will pop up. Click on the cross icon beside “Save File Type by Extension”. A white box will show up at the bottom, scroll down and choose “JPEG image” and then click on the “Save” bottom in the bottom right hand corner.
- A grey box that says “Export file” will pop up. Click on the “Export” box.
- A grey box that says “Save as JPEG” will pop up. You will want to move the bar to the right, so that it says 100 in the white box and click “OK”.
- You’re finished!
To upload your new banner, sign into your Etsy account, click on “Your Etsy”, in the left hand column under “Shop Setup”, click on “Appearance”. Under the heading “Banner” you can click on the “Browse” button and find where you saved your banner. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Save Changes”.
Check this video overview by Justin Grey to see how it works: