Offering discounts can be an effective way to hook in shoppers especially on Etsy. There are plenty of discount strategies and with all those choices; it can be difficult to decide which approach to discounts – if any – is right for your Etsy store.
- Percent Discount – This type of coupon code is a flat percentage off each listing in a customer’s entire order (not applied to shipping costs or tax rates).
- Free Shipping – This eliminates shipping costs on the shopper’s order; this can be limited to orders shipped within your country.
- Fixed Dollar Amount Discount – Etsy allows you to take away a set amount, such as $5, from an order.
To get started, here are 20 tips to keep in mind when planning your discount promotions.
- Change your avatar to promote your sale.
- Post a notice in your shop announcement.
- Offer a discount on your customer’s next order by using your “note to buyer” section. Repeat customers rule!
- Free shipping might encourage that impulse buy.
- Introduce a new item with an introductory price or limited time offer.
- Encourage additional purchases with specials like “Buy One Get One Half Price.”
- Support volume purchases with wholesale discounts.
- Use business card with discount codes to hand out or hang on bulletin boards or during craft shows.
- Promote your products on Craig’s List with a special discount code. Then you can track where the order came from.
- Have stickers made with promotional codes and use them when you mail out an order.
- Send out discount codes and sale information on your Twitter.
- Start a mailing list and send out specials and discounts.
- Start a Newsletter to send out discounts and new product information.
- Group promotions by Etsy Teams are an easy way to join together and promote a discount.
- Seasonal sales could nudge your customer to buy now.
- Spread the word of your discount on Etsy forums or blogs.
- Reward your best customers with special discounts just for them.
- Add SALE to your listing’s title and to your tags.
- Give a gift with purchase of a certain amount or item. Everyone loves a little something extra!
- Tell people about your products and give them a special “friend code” to use on their first purchase.
Also, when hosting a discount sale, be mindful of timing and frequency. Offering sales too often can train customers to wait for a markdown before making a purchase. Customers may also start to think that your regular prices are too high.
So when should you offer a sale? You might have to go through a trial-and-error process before finding the right strategy for your shop.
Have you tried an off-the-beaten path promotion? Please share what you’ve learned in the comments.
Latest posts by Gary Capps (see all)
- Informative Cheat Sheet For Handmade Sellers - February 25, 2017
- 5 Photoshop Alternatives That Top Etsy Sellers Use - February 24, 2017
- 8 Ways To Easily Buy From Your Online Store - February 23, 2017